When I first started out as a woodworker, I always had one question in mind – what is the perfect tool for demanding cutting tasks?
The ideal tool in my head was one that would have less vibration than the tool I was using back then, which gave me excess vibrations. The after-effect stayed with me and crept into my dreams.
My coworkers and I had this problem for a while until salvation finally walked into our lives through the purchase of a Husqvarna 460 rancher chainsaw by our boss.
This tool eliminated most of our difficulties and combined excellent power with reduced vibration, which ensured me a better night’s sleep.
Until I came across this machine, cutting tasks were burdensome and tiring. There are a wide range of chainsaws on the market with different price tags and capabilities – each one with its pros and cons.
You need to have a good knowledge of what you are buying and the intended use in order to get the best out of the tools in your workshop.
My boss had no buying tips or tool reviews to guide him, so I had to work with the provided chainsaw, which made work twice as tedious as it should have been. Here is an unbiased review telling you everything you need to know about this tool, based on my experience.
Husqvarna 460 rancher Features
Table of Contents
- This tool is perfect for low fuel consumption as a result of its X-torq engine. You don’t have to be worried about the weather and oil usage with this tool, as there is an adjustable oil pump, which helps you control oil flow.
- Its inertia-activated chain brake reduces kickback injuries. The engine has been designed so that the tool starts with little or no trouble to ensure ease of operation.
- This machine’s anti-vibe technology helps to cut down on vibration, which in turn reduces user fatigue. Maintenance of this tool is quite easy – there is a snap-lock cylinder cover that gives easy access to the air filter and sparks plug.
- The front handle ergonomics helps to ensure a firm grip, which also helps to reduce fatigue. There is easy access to the chain tensioner device mounted by the side. There is a cylinder depression valve set up to ensure less effort for easier starting.
This tool’s performance, to put it simply, is fantastic and exceptional. Unlike the first chainsaw I used at work, the Husqvarna 460 rancher reduces vibration to the barest minimum with its anti-vibe technology.
This creates a safer, and less annoying, working environment. The saw is very versatile and can perform a wide range of cutting activities. It delivers quality alongside good power.
The 60.3cc X-torq engine provides the power to take on both small and large projects. The low fuel consumption of the X-torq engine is sure to make you fall in love with this tool.
The ergonomic handling design of the Husqvarna 460 rancher makes the handling process very easy and comfortable. While working with this tool, injuries from kick-back are greatly reduced through the inertia-activated chain brake.
Taking a first look at this machine, the design looks pretty simple and not too different from the regular gas-powered chainsaws you see around.
However, don’t be deceived by the look of this machine; it has some amazing features to increase performance and ensure safety during usage.
This machine is not as heavy as you would imagine, as it is solidly built from durable materials.
If you are a frequent user, you may experience fatigue from long hours of usage and carry around – this shouldn’t discourage you, as the power it produces makes up for the inability to work long hours. More power and less work time is a win-win.
The handgrip features are also an admirable part of this machine. Though they are not as well-cushioned as some others, the anti-vibe technology is sure to cut down on your hand fatigue due to the reduced vibrations.
There are several safety measures to be adhered to during the usage of chainsaws in order to avoid injuries. Your number one priority should be safe when using a chainsaw.
The Husqvarna 460 rancher’s anti-vibe technology is one safety measure. Many people working in the forestry industry have hand-arm vibration syndrome (HAVS).
The carefully crafted ergonomic design of the front and rear grip on this model helps to ensure that you have a firm grip when handling this machine.
Having an awkward grip of your machine can easily lead to a drop, which may result in an injury.
No matter how careful you are, you can still make mistakes – that is why you should always try to buy machines that have lots of safety measures installed in them by the manufacturer. This machine has very low kickback, due to the inertia-activated chain brake system.
- 966 04 83-20 (20-inch bar)
- The volume of the fuel tank is 0.9 US pints
- Minimal fuel consumption of 437 g/kWh
- The idling speed is 2,700 rpm
- The displacement of the cylinder is about 3.68 cubic inches
- It produces a power output of 3.62 hp
- Spark plug: Champion RCJ7Y, NGK BPMR7A
- Electrode gap: 0.02 inches
- It has a powerful speed of 9,000 rpm.
- The maximum power cutting speed is 65.62 ft/s
- Speed at 133% of maximum engine power is 87.27 ft/s
- Weight (excluding cutting equipment): 12.79 pounds
- The volume of the oil tank is 0.7 US pints
- Torque, maximum: 3.4 Nm
- The recommended maximum bar length is 24 inches
- The recommended minimum bar length is 13 inches
- 3/8 inch pitch
- It uses an automatic oil pump.
- Maximum pump capacity is 17 ml/min
- Minimum pump capacity is 6 ml/min
- Front handle vibration level (ahv, eq) is 3.8 m/s²
- Rear handle vibration level (ahv, eq) is 6.9 m/s²
- Sound power level, guaranteed (LWA): 114 dB(A), measured 112 dB(A)
- Average sound pressure level at the operator’s ear: 104 dB(A)
What We Like:
- The saw is very powerful and highly effective.
- The anti-vibe technology reduces vibration and makes the tool easier to use.
- It is an awesome emergency tool.
- It is less expensive than its counterparts with similar power output.
- It is high-quality.
- It is easy to use for both amateurs and professionals.
What We Didn’t Like:
- This tool can be noisy during usage.
- This tool is fairly heavy for carrying around.
- A lot of its body components are made of plastic.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the maximum length bar this chain can cut through?
This blade can stretch up to 28 inches when working, but ideally should be kept within 20-24 inches.
Where is this chain saw made?
Unlike many other chainsaws on the market, the Husqvarna 460 rancher is made in Sweden.
Can it be repaired locally if it develops problems, or only in Sweden?
Yes, this tool can be repaired in your local stores.
What causes my rancher not to start when it is hot?
Check your owner’s manual for instructions on how to start a hot engine. If it’s under warranty, it is advisable to take it to a Husqvarna repair center. If that doesn’t work, then you can check the fuel filter, fuel system, air filter and spark plug, or you may clean the carburetor.
If you are looking for a chainsaw with high performance and power that can handle a wide range of projects, then the Husqvarna 460 rancher chainsaw is an ideal option. The name Husqvarna is synonymous with quality to many people.
This saw is very easy to use, which is very rare when it comes to very powerful machines. Both amateurs and professionals can utilize this machine.
This machine is very affordable, despite all of its features. It is durable and trustworthy, and a lot of safety features have been built into it. One problem with this tool is that maintenance can be a bit of an issue for users who are not too familiar with such powerful tools.
Most people that have purchased this machine are very satisfied with its performance, which makes it a good one for anyone in search of a chainsaw.
After thorough review and analysis of this product, we didn’t find lots of cons, which makes it ideal for you. You can check our other reviews for a more suitable product if you are not satisfied with this one.
Best Chainsaws for Milling – (Reviews & Buying Guide 2020)
This is the right place to read all about the best chainsaws for milling available. Explore our quality chainsaws reviews and see which one fits you best.
Best Top Handle Chainsaw in 2020 – Top Rated Models Compared
Looking for The best top handle chainsaw guide. We review the best corded & Cordless models, Makita, Husqvarna, Blue Max, Echo, top handle models.
Best 50cc Chainsaw for 2020 – (Reviews & Buying Guide.)
Our saw experts cut through the chatter to help you find the Best 50cc Chainsaw for your needs. We've put together reviews of the 50cc Chainsaw...
Echo CS 590 Review – Professional Chainsaw With Solid Performance
We recently tested several Echo CS 590 from Echo. We were amazed by the results - find out more in our in-depth Echo CS 590 review!
Best 20-Inch Chainsaw in 2020 – Top Rated Models Compared
The Best 20-Inch Chainsaw guide. We review the best GAS & ELECTRIC models, Husqvarna, Blue Max, Echo, Hitachi, 20-inch models.(2020 Ready)
Makita Chainsaw Review in 2020 – Top 5 Models Reviewed
Our saw experts cut through the chatter to help you find the right Makita chainsaw for your needs. We've put together reviews of the Makita Chainsaw on the market.