If you are a woodworker, you would know that having a track saw in your workshop can be vital for some woodwork activities. I have always admired the way the track saw makes precise and long cuts at a really fast pace.
A track saw is also called a plunge saw by some people, and has a concealed blade within the machine. It is suitable for making plunge cuts on your workpiece.
Types of track saws
There are different types of track saws on the market, and some of them are listed below.
- Makita SP6000J1 6-1/2-inch.
- SHOP FOX W1835.
- Dewalt DWS520K
- Triton TTS1400 6-1/2-inch
- Festool TS 75
- Dewalt DCS520T1
How does the track saw work?
Buying a track saw is one of the smartest moves a woodworker can make. The track saw, unlike many other saws, is scientifically designed to create smooth, fine and precise cuts on your workpiece.
The riving knife of the track saw keeps the user safe by avoiding kickbacks. They effectively make straight and plunge cuts.
You will be able to clearly see the cutting paths. The track saw performs better when it gets to its full speed, so you should give it a few seconds before applying it on your workpiece.
Benefits of a track saw
- It makes clean, precise, and smooth cuts.
- It is lightweight and ideal for moving across job sites.
- It has a very effective dust collection system.
- You don’t need clamps, as the sticky rubber strips at the bottom are very firm.
A track saw is used for
- It is used for many different projects due to its versatility.
- It can be used for mitering.
- It can be used to make straight cuts.
- It can be used for plunge cuts.
- It can be used to make splinter-free edges.
One of the most useful and versatile tools of every woodworker is the table saw. The table saw consists of a circular saw blade, which is driven by an electric motor and mounted on arbors. Most woodworkers rely on the table saw to carry out accurate and clean cuts.
This was one of the first tools I used during my early days as a woodworker, and it sure was a very beneficial tool for most of the work I did related to wood in any capacity.
What are table saws used for?
In order to achieve the best results, you have to make use of proper tools. Rather than having rough edges in your woodwork, the table saw helps you to achieve accurate and clean cuts. It is used for all sort of projects involving wood.
Type of table saw
There are different types of table saws on the market, and some of them are listed below.
- Cabinet saws (These ones are very large and heavy and used for heavy-duty work)
- Contractor saws
- Stationary table saws (designed to stay in one place)
- Portable table saws (bench-tops and job site)
- Hybrid saws
How the table saw works
It works through a cutting machine. The noise might be disturbing, so you might want to consider using ear and eye protection for the wood debris.
It has a blade guard, which is installed to prevent kickback injuries. It produces adequate power to carry out cuts. It has an emergency button to turn off the tool in case of a board that kicks back.
Table saw benefits
- They help to make wood cutting a very convenient and easy process.
- It makes the fitting of your project easier through its clean and precise cuts.
- It carries out your woodwork faster than the handsaw and with increased accuracy.
- It makes the life of a woodworker easier when carrying out cutting projects.
What is a table saw used for?
When you are working with durable or sturdy materials, you need a table saw to deliver the required cutting capacity. It can be used to make crooked or curved boards straight. It can be used to cut down different types of boards with ease.
Difference between a table saw and the track saw
Since you can’t have every type of saw in your workshop, it is a very good idea to pick a saw that is right for you based on your cutting needs.
- Track saws are very good at making repetitive cuts or narrow cuts, while table saws are good for making precise and clean cuts. Table saws are not ideal for making repetitive cuts.
- A track saw is very portable and can be carried to the material, while for the table saw, the material is carried to the tool.
- Certain track saws can allow the mounting of additional tools, while table saws work on their own.
Which one is Best for Each User?
Both the track saw and the table saw have used that they are more suitable for. Before you make your purchase decision between the two tools, you need to know what type of user you are.
If you prefer your tool to be carried around, as you are dealing with large workpieces, then you should choose the track saw.
If you are working with sturdy or durable work materials, you will need a table saw.
Price ranges of track saws and table saws
The price ranges differ by brand and type of saw. The track saws with more than a 55-inch track go anywhere from $73 to $280, while the track saws with a long and mid-length saw track go for about $576 to $1124.
Table saw prices also vary widely. You can get a table saw for anywhere from $521 to $1070. The price shouldn’t scare you. All you need to do is weigh your options based on your workload.
Benefits of the track saw against the table saw
- The track saw is light and portable, while the table saw is much heavier.
- The table saw is ideal for repetitive cuts, and the track saw falls short in this regard.
- The track saw is very versatile due to its size –the table saw, on the other hand, has limited versatility.
- The table saw requires a lot of space in the workshop, while the track saw barely occupies any space and works well in tight spaces.
- The track saw is ideal for smooth and precise cuts and has an edge over the table saw in this regard.
- The track saws take longer to set up due to the pencil marks to be outlined, but the table saw doesn’t require all of that preparation.
What gives a cleaner cut, a quality track saw or a table saw?
Through my years of experience using these tools, I can confidently say a quality track saw is sure to deliver cleaner cuts. The ability to make precise measurements through its track goes a long way towards ensuring cleaner cuts.
Can a track saw replace your table and circular saw?
A track saw cannot completely replace a table saw but it can substitute a table saw in many cutting cases. In situations like a stationery shop where you have limited support and no outfeed setup, the track saw will easily replace the table saw in precision cuts. A table saw can guarantee simultaneous cuts through the thickness of the sheet and the saw cut depth and the track saw won’t deliver a good job in this aspect.
Whichever of the circular saws you choose or the table saw, having a track saw to compliment your cutting works can sure be a very helpful tool on the job site.
Why a Track Saw is Better than a Table Saw
If you are going to be carrying out activities such as breaking down sheet goods on the job site, then the track saw is sure to carry out an effective job. The track saw allows the woodworker freedom to carry out plunged or angle cuts on sheets and you can be guaranteed high accuracy.
If also you want to carry out cuts on large sheet materials, the portability of the track saw makes it more suitable. The whole work of using a 2-man team on large sheet materials by the table saw is eliminated by the track saw.
The track saw is light and portable and can be used in carrying out a lot of cutting activities with high accuracy but still has some limitations such as repetitive cuts. Also, the table saw is very versatile but the size can be a limiting factor at times.
In order to eliminate sloppy edges while carrying out cutting activities on the jobsite, it is advisable to have both the track saw and the table saw to suit your cutting activity per time.
Best Featherboard For Table Saw – (Top Picks & Reviews 2020)
Buying The Best Featherboard For Table Saw is tough! There are SO many to choose from in 2020. Don't exert the Top 5 are reviewed HERE!
Hitachi C10RJ Review – Great Jobsite Table Saw For The Price ?
The Hitachi C10RJ is a Jobsite table saw that’s built to meet the needs of professional woodworkers, but will it be right for you? We've researched for you.
DEWALT DW745 Reviews – Worth The Price?
Need an info-packed DEWALT DW745 review before you buy it? EVERYTHING you need to know about this 10" Jobsite table saw is here (40+ hours testing done)
Best Table Saw Blade Review – (2020 Smart Shopping Guide)
Dewalt DWS779 vs DWS780 Reviews – How Do They Compare?
The Dewalt DWS779 and DWS780 are two Miter saws by the same brand, but they're not made the same. What's the difference and which one is best? Find out here.
Best Portable Band Saw in 2020 – [Compared & Reviewed]
Our experts make your choice easier in this extensive comparison of the best portable band saw available in 2020. Our Top Pick maybe surprises you.